7.27.2010

100's of hundreds

We've been "in the sticks" so to speak and haven't had access to the world wide web via computer or our handy touch phones. We rode 100 miles from the small town of Montisello to
Natural Bridges state park (50 miles)- then to lake powell (50 more miles). It was extremely hott. There was no shade, but okay, it was pretty. We made it to the park in time to take cover from a serious rain storm and the nice ranger gace us matches to make coffee on our camping stove outside the visitor center. Many a German tourists stared.

Then we rode to Lake Powell. Holy Hott! I've been there before, but only by airconditioned vehicle. Dang. Thank the lord we got there as the sun was setting and there was a large body of water to swim in. Night swimming is better than daytime swimming. Nothing but rocks and the sky and the current, oh yah and that Effing spotlight of a moon that kept waking me up. We slept in the desert. Everytime I woke up, I kept thinking "turn off that damn streetlight, oh wait. thats the moon". You never think about how the moon rotates the earth like the sun. This was the first time I ever really thought about it. I woke up and it was north of me, then above me, then south of me. That streetlamp kept moving. Needless to say, it was more like moonwatching than sleep. I'm glad I experienced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment