7.30.2010

Rest time

We made it. We finished 2 ACA maps and rode close to 1,000 miles. We ate probably 70,000 calories, saw at least 30 small towns, and met a ton of crazy and non-crazy people. I have tan lines on my legs, face, hands, and arms. Its pretty hawt.

Last night we camped at Panguitch Lake, halfway up our 10,000 + ft summit to Cedar Breaks Monument. It was incredibly beautiful up there, but I started to feel short of breath again. I don't really understand how I can acclimate in 3 days (in Denver), ride up to 11,000 on day 4 of bike tour, not descend below 5,500 for two weeks, and still feel short of breath at 8,000. Its like my body just doesn't understand the physics of mountains and lung capacity. I'm sure some doctor friend out there could illuminate this. Anyway, we made it here and its hott and feels great to rest a while.

Also, there's a number of things I've been thinking while I'm on the bicycle for hours and hours that I wanted to share with you:
1. Why is it that when you're not on biketour all you can think about IS biketour, and then when you ARE on biketour, all you can think about is eating icecream in a clean bed and watching bad movies on cable tv?
2. As one progresses through a number of climbs up hefty summits like we have, you would think you'd get stronger, more ready to tackle the next one. Your body is saying "more climbing, you're a beast!".
Wrong: As time progresses you may be getting stronger, but you also become more exhausted from the "barely sleep, unpack panniers, wake-up at 5, pack panniers, bike 8-10 hours, find place to sleep" cycle. I'm ready for a real rest.

And tomorrow on Greyhound will probably not be it. I'm signing off for now, Michelle is taking the reigns, I"ll be back in a week. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment